Elias and WWW
These occasional think-pieces provide discussions of the whys and wherefores of operationalising ideas drawn from the work of Norbert Elias as the conceptual and analytical framework for the WWW project. They involve ‘thinking with Elias’, rather than ‘applying’ his ideas. This is not least because Elias himself would have been dismayed at the latter, having the conviction from his habitation dissertation (The Court Society) onwards that things shape up differently in different social and political circumstances, and so sociological analysis needs to respond to this.
- Thinking with Norbert Elias
- Figurations and social change
- De/civilising processes
- The established-outsider figuration, ‘race’ and whiteness
- The civilising process, violence and race
- The temporal order, events and social change
- At the thinking stage – is Elias’s work Eurocentric?
Last updated: 17 May 2017